Greek Lentil Salad with Feta Vinaigrette
3/4 Cup uncooked lentils
1 bay leaf
4 cups water
1/4 cup chopped scallion
1 large stalk celery, chopped
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
1 tablespoon vegetable broth
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Place lentils and bay leaf in small pot. Add Water: bring to a simmer. Cover partially. Cook over medium-low heat 40 minutes or until lentils are tender but not mushy. Drain off water; discard bay leaf. Place lentils in serving bowl and set aside to cool. Add scallion, celery and tomatoes to lentils. Toss gently but well.
2. Combine feta, broth, oil, vinegar, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Stir well. Pour over salad. Set aside 5 minutes for all flavors to blend.
Makes 3 servings (1cup per serving)
1/2 fat, 1 Meat, 2 Starch
Calories 236, Total Fat 5g, Saturated fat 2g, Protein 16g, Carbohydrate 33g, Cholesterol 3mg, Dietary fiber 16g, sodium 380mg
Kale with Caramelized Garlic
1 1/2 Pounds fresh kale, tough stems removed and discarded, leaves thinly sliced (16 cups)
2 cups water
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1. Place kale and water in large saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook, covered until kale is tender but still bright green, about 6 to 8 minutes. Drain in colander.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic; cook and stir until garlic is golden brown, being careful not to allow garlic to burn about 4 minutes. Add kale, vinegar, salt and red pepper flakes; stir to mix well.
Creamy Broccoli-White Bean Soup (Gluten Free option)
1 head broccoli (1lb) cut into florets, stems thinly sliced
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 15-oz can cannellini bean, drained
2/1/2 cups chicken stock (gluten free chicken stock)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp. pine nuts, toasted
1/2 oz shaved Parmesan for serving
1. Steam broccoli florets and stems until tender and bright green, about 3 minutes. Let cool slightly. Reserve 1/2 cup florets for garnish.
2. Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic until translucent, about 6 minutes. Add beans and stock and bring mixture to a simmer. Remove from heat and add broccoli; puree in batches in a blender until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish each bowl with broccoli florets, toasted pine nuts and shaved Parmesan.
Per serving: 247 calories, 2g saturated fat; 8g unsaturated fat/ 28 carb
Makes 6 Servings 1/2 cup per serving
Calories 83, Total Fat 3g, Saturated Fat 0g, Protein 4g, Carbohydrate 13gm Cholesterol 0g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Sodium 241mg